Neighbors Helping Neighbors End Hunger
The Heights Interfaith Ministries Food Pantry opened its doors June 25, 2009 to serve Houston families. Since that time, we have served more than 170,000 individuals and 46,000 families. We are 100% funded by donations and 100% volunteer-based with more than 30,000 volunteer hours since opening.
We are a “Client Choice” Pantry, which means that our clients make their own food selections with the help of volunteers. We provide meat, eggs, produce and toiletries with each order. With the help of the community, we have continually grown to serve the needs of the neighbors. We are open Thursdays from 5 -7 PM and Saturdays from 10 AM to Noon.
Our funding comes from donations from our sponsor community organizations, member churches, individuals, and annual fundraising events. Heights Interfaith Ministries (HIM) is a corporation organized in Texas and has a not-for-profit 501(c)3 tax status with the federal government.
We are a proud member of the Houston Food Bank. About 80% of our food is purchased from the Houston Food Bank at low prices with the balance coming in through community donations and a small portion being purchased with Heights Interfaith Ministries Food Pantry funds.
We serve residents of all ZIP codes in Houston, Texas.
Support from Area Churches
We are supported by the following member churches as well as other community organizations.
- Christ the King Catholic Church
- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
- The Vineyard
- Zion Lutheran Church
- St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- The Church at 1548 Heights
- To provide generous, nutritious groceries to all who seek help
- To encourage Heights gardeners to contribute fresh produce
- To increase our membership with Heights religious and community organizations
The food pantry is 100% volunteer-operated and is administered by a volunteer board of directors composed of representatives selected by each of its member organizations.
Volunteer Board of Directors
Laurie Hardwick, Chair – St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
David Barnett, Vice Chair – St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Frances Barbini – Zion Lutheran Church
- Carolyn Keys – Zion Lutheran Church
- Carol Davis – The Vineyard
- Daniel Fuentes – The Vineyard
- Jane Ista- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
- Jennifer Moffett, Senior Meals Coordinator – St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
- Vicki Powers – The Church at 1548 Heights
- Ji Rim – The Church at 1548 Heights
- Mary O’Sullivan – Christ the King Catholic Church
- Yolanda Sanchez – Christ the King Catholic Church
Alicia Reyes, Fundraising Coordinator
Terri Dougherty, Executive Director