Neighbors Helping Neighbors End Hunger
The Heights Interfaith Ministries Food Pantry opened its doors June 25, 2009 to serve Houston families. Since that time, we have served more than 228,000 individuals and 61,000 families. We are 100% funded by donations and 100% volunteer-run. We are open Thursdays from 4 to 6 PM and Saturdays from 10 AM to Noon. We serve residents of all ZIP codes in the Houston area. Terri Dougherty, Executive Director, provides day to day management and oversight of pantry operations.
- To provide generous, nutritious groceries to all who seek help
- To encourage Heights gardeners to contribute fresh produce
- To increase our membership with Heights religious and community organizations
We are a “client choice” pantry, which means that our clients make food selections with the help of volunteers. We strive to provide meat, eggs, fresh produce and toiletries for every client. With the help of the community, we have continually grown to serve the changing needs of the neighbors. Currently, due to the pandemic, we have shifted from client choice to distributing pre-assembled food to keep both clients and volunteers safe.
Our funding comes from donations from our sponsor community organizations, member churches, individuals, and annual fundraising activities. Heights Interfaith Ministries (HIM) is a corporation organized in Texas and has a not-for-profit 501(c)3 tax status with the federal government. We are a proud member of the Houston Food Bank. About 80% of our food is purchased from the Houston Food Bank at low prices with the balance coming in through community donations and a small portion purchased with Pantry funds.
Support from Our Community
We are supported by the following member churches who also provide board leadership:
- Christ the King Catholic Church
- Representatives – Connie Lara
- St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Representatives – Laurie Hardwick (President) and Cathey Harrison
- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
- Representatives – Jane Ista (Vice President) and Jennifer Moffett (Senior Meals Coordinator)
- The Church at 1548 Heights
- Representatives – Richard Box and John Watson
- The Vineyard
- Representatives – Amanda Mendoza
- Zion Lutheran Church
- Frances Barbini (Treasurer) and Carolyn Keys (Secretary)
We receive donations from a range of businesses and organizations that support our mission. These include: